Superheroes are a bedrock of American culture and its always struck me just how many British actors and actresses are called upon to portray these legendary characters.
British actors and actresses are often regarded as the best in the world, from Laurence Olivier to Olivia Coleman. This is often due to their classical training (darlings), the historical attachment to the theatre that goes back to the days of Shakespeare, and the seeming ease at which they pick up accents.
Being British myself, I take immense pride in knowing that those in control of such an important part of American culture trust so many Brits to give due gravitas and respect to such beloved characters.
The recent article about Chris Evans potentially returning at Human Torch that produced my spur-of-the-moment list of actors and actresses that have played multiple comic book movie characters went down quite well with you glorious Outposters. Again, I was struck by how many of them were British.
So I have made a new list of all British actors and actresses that have played superheroes, and supervillains, supporting characters and a few, blink and you’ll miss them cameos.
Characters like Professor X and Alfred Pennyworth are British so it goes without saying they would need to be played by a Brit but they are in there anyway. Let’s be honest, Americans are shit at British accents – we’ve all heard Shawn trying to do a cockney accent on the Livestream – so it’s only right they couldn’t be trusted with such a role.
This list is from my brain, but I did need Google a few times because I either knew the actor but not the character or vice-versa. Regardless, have fun, and let me know if I’ve missed any.
- Henry Cavill – Superman
- Terence Stamp – Zod
- Sarah Douglas – Ursa
- Christian Bale – Batman and Gorr
- Liam Neeson – Ra’s al Ghul and Darkman
- Gary Oldman – Commissioner Gordon
- Linus Roache – Thomas Wayne
- Michael Caine – Alfred
- Michael Gough – Alfred
- Jeremy Irons – Alfred
- Tom Hardy – Bane and Venom
- Lauren Cohan – MAARRTTHHHHAAA Wayne
- Robert Pattinson – Batman
- Andy Serkis – Alfred and Ulysses Klaue
- Andrew Garfield – Spider-Man
- Tom Holland – Spider-Man
- Sir Patrick Stewart – Professor X
- James McAvoy – Professor X
- Sir Ian McKellen – Magneto
- Michael Fassbender – Magneto and Burke (Jonah Hex)
- Nicholas Hoult – Beast
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson – Kick-Ass, Quicksilver, and Kraven
- Benedict Cumberbatch – Doctor Strange
- Tilda Swinton – The Ancient One
- Benedict Wong – Wong
- Chiwetel Ejiofor – Baron Mordo
- Idris Elba – Heimdall and Bloodsport
- Tom Hiddleston – Loki
- Anthony Hopkins – Odin
- Christopher Eccleston – Malekith
- Paul Bettany – Jarvis and Vision
- David Harewood – Martian Manhunter (Supergirl)
- Sir Ben Kingsley – Trevor Slattery
- Guy Pearce – Aldrich Killian (He was born in England and his Mum is English)
- Dominic Cooper – Howard Stark
- Hayley Atwell – Peggy Carter
- Ed Skrein – Francis Freeman / Ajax (Deadpool)
- Ioan Gruffudd – Mr Fantastic
- Charlie Cox – Daredevil
- Finn Jones – Iron Fist
- David Tennent – Kilgrave
- Tim Roth – Emil Blonsky/Abomination
- Ben Hardy – Archangel (X-Men: Apocalypse)
- Jenna Coleman – Connie (Captain America) and Johanna Constantine
- Karen Gillan – Nebula
- Peter Serafinowicz – Garthan Saal
- Kit Harrington – Black Knight
- Harry Styles – Starfox
- Gemma Chan – Sersi
- Richard Madden – Ikaris
PHEW! More than I ever thought! Did I miss any?