It was originally supposed to open as one long film playing in theaters exclusively last year, but with delays, they’re skipping theaters entirely to launch digitally exclusively. And it is being split into 3 episodes as a “docuseries” instead of a film.
For Jackson’s latest work (following They Shall Not Grow Old) the Oscar-winning filmmaker has been working on for years, restoring hours and hours of old footage. The film features in-studio footage that was shot in early 1969 for the 1970 film Let It Be.
Get Back will transport fans back to the band’s pivotal January 1969 recording sessions. It will document the creative process and relationship between The Beatles as they attempted to record 14 new songs in preparation for their first live concert in over two years.
The series is compiled from nearly 60 hours of unseen footage shot over 21 days, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg in 1969, and from more than 150 hours of unheard audio, most of which has been locked in a vault for over half a century.
Jackson is the only person in 50 years to have been given access to this Beatles treasure trove, all of which has now been brilliantly restored.
Here’s the trailer:
Disney’s blurb reads:
“Acclaimed filmmaker Peter Jackson’s The Beatles: Get Back is a unique cinematic experience that takes audiences back in time to The Beatles’ intimate recording sessions during a pivotal moment in music history. The film showcases the warmth, camaraderie and creative genius that defined the legacy of the iconic foursome. Shot in January 1969 and compiled from over 60 hours of unseen footage (filmed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg) and more than 150 hours of unheard audio, all of which has been brilliantly restored, The Beatles: Get Back is the story of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr as they plan their first live show in over two years and charts the writing and rehearsing of 14 new songs, originally intended for release on an accompanying live album.”
The docuseries features The Beatles’ last live performance as a group for the first time in its entirety. The rooftop concert took place on London’s Savile Row.
Earlier this week, Ringo Starr has opened up about a bizarre reunion offer made to The Beatles in 1973, which they turned down.
In a New Yorker profile on Paul McCartney today (October 11), it was revealed that McCartney had flown to Los Angeles to visit John Lennon that year, after his breakup with Yoko Ono.
Starr is featured in the profile talking about the band turning down “a fortune” to reunite for a concert, which proposed an opening act of a man wrestling a shark. Ringo said:
“We called each other and said no,”
“We were taking our own roads now.”
The Beatles: Get Back will premiere on Disney+ on November 25, 26 and 27th.