Things always seem to come in threes. The same used to be said for the Marvel solo movies. Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor all had three movies until the Infinity War seemed to wrap up some arcs.
Then came the news that Thor would be getting a fourth installment, in the form of Thor: Love And Thunder. Then there are the rumors that Captain America 4 will feature former Falcon Sam as the icon. So that rule went out the window.
However, Director James Gunn confirms that he plans for Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 to be the final movie in their mini-franchise and his final foray into the world of the MCU. As he was integral to the creative drive behind the Guardians movies, does that mean his plan will stick?
If they ever move beyond that then the chances are that Gunn will not be returning, and he has confirmed this is the case.
Will this be your last GofG movie or will there be a 4th one?
— Kaine Richardson (@KaineRich2555) May 3, 2021
Marvel Studios recently released their look back and look ahead to Phase 4 teaser compilation. This confirmed that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is set to release in May 2023. Gunn subsequently referred to this on Twitter and was asked outright by a fan if he will be back. He confirmed he still plans on it being his last Guardians Of The Galaxy movie. He will still write and direct the Guardian’s Of The Galaxy Holiday Special which will come before the third entry.
It has been rumored that there will be at least one major character death in the third outing. The two main arcs are thought to include helping Gamora come to terms with her timeline shift and Rocket Raccoon’s tragic origin story.
Aside from the MCU, Gunn is across no-mans-land at the DCEU with The Suicide Squad in the can and its HBO Max spin-off, Peacemaker, with John Cena underway.
So will the story of the Guardians Of The Galaxy be played out by the time their third movie ends? This is the MCU, so appearances in other movies are never ruled out. They will next appear in Thor: Love And Thunder, taking off from where Avengers: Endgame left Thor at the end of that movie.
The next phase of the MCU now lines up like this.
- Black Widow (2021) Release Date: Jul 09, 2021
- Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings (2021) Release Date: Sep 03, 2021
- Eternals (2021) Release Date: Nov 05, 2021
- Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) Release Date: Dec 17, 2021
- Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness (2022) Release Date: Mar 25, 2022
- Thor: Love And Thunder (2022) Release Date: May 06, 2022
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever/Black Panther 2 (2022) Release Date: Jul 08, 2022
- The Marvels/Captain Marvel 2 (2022) Release Date: Nov 11, 2022
- Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023) Release Date: May 05, 2023
- Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania (2023) Release Date: Feb 17, 2023