Poor Eggy suffered a bereavement yesterday. It looked like somebody had kicked his beloved DCU right in the balls. You can read all about it, and his reaction to the news, right here at your trusty Outpost. But wait! All is maybe not as it seems. This DC story has further to develop. We like this, as it gives us even more to talk about in our community of previously homeless, movie-loving reprobates that’s you guys.

New News In Women

First up is the news that the scrapping of the third Wonder Woman movie might not have gone down exactly as reported. Deadline now reports that it was filmmaker Patty Jenkins who walked, rather than being pushed.

Wonder-Woman-DC

Jenkins made a threequel treatment pitch but apparently there were some issues that, according to report, had:

“…character arc problems which rivalled that of Wonder Woman 1984.”

Warner Bros. Motion Picture chiefs Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy had concerns about the treatment even before new DC chiefs Peter Safran, and James Gunn weighed in. Points of view were given around potential fit with wider plans. All reportedly provided notes.

Jenkins fought back and defended her vision. When she was given the opportunity for another pass, basically a treatment re-write, she declined and opted to walk. Will Gal Gadot want to stay in the role without Jenkins? The two are close. She tweeted on Tuesday:

“I’ve been so grateful for the opportunity to play such an incredible, iconic character and more than anything I’m grateful for YOU. The fans. Can’t wait to share her next chapter with you.”

Will this change anything? This reality must have been known to Gadot on Tuesday when that tweet was made. So we could still get a third Wonder Woman, featuring Gadot in the role, just as part of whatever it is the DCU is going to be as it moves forward.

Beyond Confusion

There is more that is apparently not happening, though. According to Jeff Sneider on this week’s The Hot Mic video on YouTube, there was something else planned in the world of Batman. Michael Keaton was planned to return following the now scrapped Batgirl and his appearance in The Flash.

Batman-DC

Sneider claimed Keaton was to get a solo movie to be written by Christina Hodson (Birds of Prey) but this has now been stopped. Online scooper El Mayimbe then followed up with an expansion. The cancelled movie was actually a live-action Batman Beyond adaption with Keaton as the older Bruce Wayne opposite a younger actor in a futuristic Batsuit playing Terry McGinnis.

The New Boss

All of this excitement meant the suits broke cover and calmed nerves. New co-CEO of DC Studios, James Gunn, has hit Twitter in an attempt to clear up some of the speculation. Posting a series of tweets, Gunn dived straight in.

His opening tweet directly addressed the story in The Hollywood Reporter and said simply:

“…Some of it is true, some of it is half-true, some of it is not true, & some of it we haven’t decided yet whether it’s true or not.”

He continues on saying he and Peter Safran are still just beginning and then explains why he took the gig:

“Peter & I chose to helm DC Studios knowing we were coming into a fractious environment, both in the stories being told & in the audience itself & there would be an unavoidable transitional period as we moved into telling a cohesive story across film, TV, animation, and gaming.

But, in the end, the drawbacks of that transitional period were dwarfed by the creative possibilities & the opportunity to build upon what has worked in DC so far & to help rectify what has not. We know we are not going to make every single person happy every step of the way, but we can promise everything we do is done in the service of the STORY & in the service of the DC CHARACTERS we know you cherish and we have cherished our whole lives.”

No news on the Man of Steel sequel of whether Black Adam will get another go around.

Check back every day for new content at Last Movie Outpost.
To like us on Facebook Click Here
To follow us on Twitter Click Here
See our YouTube channel Click Here